MAPPING WOMEN'S SUFFRAGE 1911
A Snapshot in time
Shorthand typist for a manufacturer
10 Clifton Street, Wolverhampton
Clara was born in Wolverhampton in 1883, the daughter of Dominic and Mary Clara Dilger immigrants from Baden in Germany. She worked as a shorthand typist for a manufacturer in 1911 and was like her sisters Lucy and Maud, a member of the Wolverhampton branch of the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies. The “Misses Dilger” were actively involved in collecting subscriptions and delivering notices in the district of Tettenhall Road so it looks as if all three sisters acted together. The Society’s annual report 1913 – 1914 also includes an account of a play 'The Better Half' produced in 1914 by a Miss Dilger (see Lucy Dilger for a fuller account) although which one of the sisters produced it is unclear. Either way it was a success, with the characters 'excellently portrayed' and substantial funds raised for the society from those who attended. Contributed by Heidi McIntosh, Senior Archivist, Wolverhampton Archives.
This item has no relations.